Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Storyteller's Cafe
In the Grand Californian Hotel, Disneyland Resort

More Disneyland food, hooray...ever since more of our friends got annual passes, it's been great fun going every other week or so (honestly!). It's also great to go to the restaurants in the resort - and the 10% pass discount doesn't hurt either.

Storyteller's Cafe has great atmosphere - earthy and welcoming, and smells deliciously of cinnamon-y BBQ sauce (the kind they put on their rack of ribs.) It almost doesn't feel like a Disneyland Resort restaurant. The wait isn't so bad, because they set out a cart with free apple cider and little cups. This cider is realllly good and addictive, and warms you up instantly on a cold night.

I can't say I've ever had bad service here, although the one time when my parents went without me, they said they were "ignored"...but I give them the benefit of the doubt, they've been very attentive every time I've been.

Once sitting down, a big ole basket of breads was placed before us...
Cornbreads and a lil' mini loaf of soft white bread. And a dish with triangles of butter. This cornbread is addictive - sweet, with corn kernels embedded in every muffin. The outside of these muffins are just right - to make that sticky but tantilizing outer crust. The bread is just okay to me but it is softer than soft. Onto the GOODS. I got the Warm Chicken melt, as I never tried this dish before. I have to say it's just, alright. Not great but not horrible. Chicken breast slices are topped with a huge slice of beefsteak tomato, grilled onion and cheese, and the bread is huge texas toast garlic bread, served with a side of fries. The fries would have been better if they were less cold..an off day because I've had piping hot fries from them before and they're good, not greasy and not overly salted. The tomato was the thing that dragged this melt down - gloppy and overbearing, I hate when tomato is cooked and the tired skins of the tomato get stuck between your teeth. I pulled the rest of the tomato out of the sandwich after taking a few bites. The bread is HUGE and overbearing, I had to rip off the edges to make a more managable sandwich. It's a ton of food and I was fuller than full after eating it.
Ryan tore into a 1/3 lb cheeseburger with guacamole. Look at how much guacamole they hooked him up with!! It's like a TOWER of green creamy goodness...and not often can many people say that. By the way, those strawberries in the corner were actually pretty decent - I was expecting them to be sour, but they ended up tasting alright.
This was Dean's Spaghetti with meat sauce, but honestly this was like, meat with some sauce and noodles. This was like, a vat of meat. And cheese. Dean said he would have liked more garlic bread, which, by the looks of the two meager pieces they put on his plate, is a fair assessment. He almost finished this monster but threw up the white flag as his stomach was just about to burst.
This was Mike's cheeseburger with bacon. Nothing much to say about it, 'cept he ate almost all of it....AND...
It was Mike's birthday last week so they brought him a Mickey Chocolate Mousse! I love the festive feel of this, with the mini M&M's, sprinkles, and chocolate ears. I couldn't even take a bite I was so stuffed, but Mike managed to scrape the plate clean. (he loves his sweets!)

This restaurant is a good place to relax after a busy day walking around Disneyland/California Adventure. It's a bit secluded from the crowds (although a ton of people go here still, but I'm comparing it to restaurants that are located INSIDE the theme parks), and the food is very decent.

2 comments:

Mike Caracappa said...

Yeah, that was a great time. Disneyland has the best chocolate anything, ANYWHERE! (mmm.....Nuttles) I also liked our eccentric waiter. He was pretty awesome.

heysandra said...

hahaha, definitely. Our waiter was very into calling you "Mikey"...I guess Mikey did like it (the dinner that is :)