Friday, July 17, 2009

It's It - the ice cream sandwich of my youth

Let's have a blast from the past, well for me anyways - It's it was the ice cream sandwich of my junior high youth. They sold these, individually from the cafeteria, for 75 cents each, with a variety of flavors to choose from - vanilla, strawberry, chocolate, coffee, mint. It's been a long time since then, but I realized that Southern Californians did not even know what an It's it was, much less had access to them. I naively thought that everyone had access to these! I guess it's more of a bay area thing, since the only It's it factory that I know of is off 101, right outside of San Francisco. However, one day while perusing the aisles of a...Vons? Ralphs? I forget now, but I saw a 3 pack of It's It! I blindly grabbed at it, and brought it home to share.
Here's a snap of the wrapper - vanilla flavor, old school illustration, same old lettering. I love it.

It's It
And here it is, bitten into. The chocolate coating, the oatmeal cookies, the vanilla ice cream. It really is the perfect ice cream sandwich. I think I can only have one once a year though...don't exactly still have that junior high school metabolism anymore, heh.

http://www.itsiticecream.com/
Supposedly, they're available at Albertsons in Southern California, but I don't recall where I got these!

No comments: