Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Huckleberry Cafe

Huckleberry was white hot when I went to visit it, it had only been open for a week or two, and the lines were insane. Daphne and I still braved the lines and managed to barely snag a table (un-bussed, messy). The queue to order was massive, but I was excitedly checking out their menu, written on huge chalkboards stationed high above the cashier. We ordered, and I also got a few things to go.

Huckleberry Cafe
I love their logo. Cute and simple.

Huckleberry Cafe
Water here is not just water, it's refrigerated filtered water, in individual bottles with fun cork style tops. Water here is also serve yourself, so drink up!
Huckleberry Cafe
Daphne got a caramelized banana creme mini pie. So deliciously good, I know this now because I got this myself on another visit...the crust was perfect, the whipped cream freshly whipped and luscious, banana slices on top of rich banana pudding, on top of caramel sauce. Get this, you won't be sorry.

Huckleberry Cafe
A insane chocolate croissant, that I got for Owen, to go. The chocolate was oozing out of it, super great quality, he noted one of the top 5 chocolate croissants he's had, and that's saying a lot (he loves his chocolate croissants.)

Huckleberry Cafe
My treat for later, a ham and gruyere croissant, I love my savory snacks, and this was exactly what I wanted - a flaky pastry salty cheesy kinda snack. Not exactly great for me but a real treat.

Huckleberry Cafe
And here's what I ate right out of the box when I sat down - a chocolate elcair. Pretty tasty, the custard tasted just right, and the chocolate was dark and creamy. This was pretty much gone in a few bites - I was really hungry! We had to wait a long while for our sandwiches, a server finally came by with our sandwiches after locating our number on our table...

Huckleberry Cafe
My sandwich - the turkey meatball, that came with a fresh side salad of greenery, lightly coated in salad oil. I liked my sandwich ok but the bread was overwhelming, a lot of bread for not a ton of meatball. The tomatoes were great quality, added a nice tartness to the sandwich, but I found myself tiring of the taste of the meatball - I think they needed a bit more salt. I loved the salad, and left most of the bread.

Huckleberry Cafe
Daphne's roast beef sandwich fared much better, lots of thinly sliced roast beef (I think, roasted in house), a good strong mustard spread, just a pretty lookin' and good tasting sandwich all around. I think I'll get this next time.

I've been back once, since, just to pick up some baked goods. I love the feel of this place and hopefully the rush has died down a bit during lunch hours, and they have gotten a few things more organized. I'll definitely be back to try that roast beef.

Huckleberry Cafe
1014 Wilshire Boulevard
Santa Monica, CA
huckleberrycafe.com


No comments: