Monday, December 07, 2009

Sugarfish

This is from when Marcie and I finally got together one day to celebrate both our belated birthdays. She had wanted to try Sugarfish for ages, and we finally made it there, early enough so we were the first customers of the day on a sunny Saturday mid-morning.

I'm most intrigued by Nozawa's "Trust Me" menus, how for the most part, that's all they offer, you can get a few things more a-la-carte but that's it. Marcie and I both went with the "Trust Me" menu selection (not the Trust me lite, I wanted to try the crab roll!).
Sugarfish
A plate of edaname was brought out for each of us to nibble on. Tasty pods of edaname are always fun and a great way to start a meal.
Sugarfish
Second dish, a chopped tuna sashimi, with green onions and ponzu sauce. Each piece of tuna was like a glistening ruby, so tasty and fresh. I'd have to say the quality of fish was excellent across the board, very clean and tasty flavors. The portion was quite small, but a great start.
Sugarfish
Next up, 2 pieces each of Albacore and Salmon Sushi. Same thing all around - super fresh and tasty. I remember the rice being nice as well, although it was a little more crumbly than I would have liked (a lot of grains fell off en-route from plate to soy sauce to mouth), but the fish more than made up for any minor complaints about rice.
Sugarfish
Another small plate arrived - one piece each of Yellowtail and Halibut Sushi. Nothing more can be said about the quality that I haven't said before, just top notch and very delicious.
Sugarfish
As the waitress put down this plate, she cautioned us to eat this sooner than later, as the seaweed is crisp and fresh. The Toro Hand Roll was really amazing, the fish was very luscious on the tongue, and the rice issue was resolved by this method of eating, as the rice was enveloped by the seaweed. I could have had 2 more of these.
Sugarfish
Last plate was the Crab Hand Roll, same rules applied as the toro handroll. The crab meat was SO sweet, each bite was just like fireworks in my mouth. Hrm, in a good way.

I felt pretty good after that lunch but I think I probably could have done even more, maybe some a-la-carte items to finish it off. I am definitely going again soon.

Sugarfish
4722 1/4 Admiralty Way
Marina Del Rey, CA 90292-6905
(310) 306-6300
www.sugarfishsushi.com

No comments: