Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Hide Sushi

Sushi! I love me my sushi, and I've passed by Hide Sushi enough to see that this place is super popular (I see people waiting outside for a table at all hours of the day!) I was forewarned about their cash only policy, so I made sure to get some cash that day when I met up with Daphne, Robert and Owen.

We snagged a seat in the back and quickly ordered, we were very hungry. They were very fast in delivering our food to the table, considering the amount of people in the restaurant at the time.
Hide Sushi
Two sets of each kind of roll, spicy tuna and spicy yellowtail, arrived first. These were delicious rolls, very freshly made, great quality fish, good texture on the rice. We devoured these very quickly, so tasty!
Hide Sushi
From the left: salmon skin roll, California roll, and then a spicy salmon roll to round out the plate. The salmon skin was Robert's favorite, he always orders it, and I definitely agreed with his decision. We described the salmon skin as "salmon candy", crunchy, fishy and savory, I wish more places had it as a fast food item (KFC could try to go out on a limb to try to get more asian customers?). California rolls aren't really my favorite, but this version was nice, very generous with the avocado. Salmon was good, I could have had more of those too.
Hide Sushi
Some nigiri - from the left front - unagi, (eel), sweet shrimp, and salmon. Starting with eel, which is my favorite meal ender, I love the sweet sauce and the savory taste it has, I always have one to end my sushi meal. Salmon nigiri was very good, no overly fishy taste (which is Owen's judge of good salmon), and super tender once eaten. They went quickly.

Daphne had ordered the sweet shrimp, as she had heard to order this (later, you will see the fried shrimp heads), they do not waste any of the huge sweet shrimp. However, she tasted it and instantly did not like it, so she gave the other one to me. Honestly, I am not the biggest fan either (raw sweet shrimp has an interesting texture when eaten, the best way I can describe it is it makes my mouth feel...fuzzy and powdery), but I don't like letting things go to waste, so I had it. I think I'll stick to cooked shrimp from now on.
Hide Sushi
The fried shrimp heads were the redeeming factor to the sweet shrimp sushi, after turning their bodies into sushi, the heads are fried whole. Snapping off little bits of antennae and legs, each piece tasted like the best shrimp chip I've ever had. I would devour a plate of these, given the chance. Please don't judge me...sometimes I'm a glutton...
Hide Sushi
Last plate...more spicy tuna and a tuna roll. I already chatted about the spicy tuna, so the tuna roll, good ratio of cucumber and tuna (very generous with the tuna). I liked that it was cucumber bits instead a big chunk of cucumber like I'm used to, it gives a great cucumber flavor to the roll instead of overpowering everything.

We were super full after all these rolls, and I remember that the bill was quite reasonable. Great quality, great price, really nothing more I can ask for. I need to go back soon.

Hide Sushi
2040 Sawtelle Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90025-6230
(310) 477-7242

No comments: