Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Tortilla Grill

A quick meetup for lunch with Owen a few weeks ago, and we wanted to eat somewhere not RIGHT next to his workplace (he's quickly exhausting all the options around him), so I drove down to Abbot Kinney, which was close enough to his workplace but not close enough for him to walk to. We settled on Tortilla Grill, as we hadn't been there in awhile and I didn't feel like pizza that day.

I had been here a few times during college, but not recently. I was a bit apprehensive, because I remembered their meat to be way dry and overcooked, but I was willing to give them another chance. After ordering at the front, awkardly, in front of a large glass case filled with salsas, flan and other random things that needed to be refridgerated. We sat in the small eating area - and when our food was ready, this is what we got...
Tortilla Grill
I ordered a carnitas torta, which came with some chips. They don't have a salsa bar, you have to ask them for small prepacked salsas that are stored in that case, which was a bit bothersome, as I had to flag someone down so I could get my pico de gallo on. Other than that - this was one of the best carinitas tortas I've ever had in my life, hands down. The carnitas meat was amazingly moist, with crunchy porky skin bits in it. Oh MAN. That was good. The veggies were nice and fresh, it was hard for me to even pause this long to take this picture. I really enjoyed this, and want another one soon!
Tortilla Grill
Owen got a grilled chicken plate, which came with a few tortillas. I was really suspect of the white meat grilled chicken, but when I tried a piece, it was super moist and flavorful! I was pleasantly surprised! They also gave a generous amount. The pinto beans, rice, and sour cream were good accompaniments, this whole plate was a win, and Owen scraped it clean (well, most of the sour cream still remained, he doesn't really like it.)

I was completely satisfied with the meal, and I'll be back soon, I hope, to get another torta!

Tortilla Grill
1357 Abbot Kinney Blvd
Venice, CA 90291
(310) 581-9953

No comments: